Founded in 2004, the Chicago Pastel Painters, a society member of the International Association of Pastel Societies (IAPS), is a non-profit fine arts organization dedicated to the promotion of the medium of soft pastel. Completely run by volunteer members, CPP engages in the education of individual artists and the public through online newsletters, annual juried exhibitions, workshops, and other events in the Chicagoland area.
The focus of the Chicago Pastel Painters is to:
- Sponsor a biennial member exhibition, Strokin’!, and a biennial national exhibition, Pastels Chicago
- Present pastel workshops, demos, paint-outs, and critiques
- Publish online newsletters featuring articles, techniques, and information pertaining to the pastel medium
- Showcase members’ work and contact information
- Pursue the creative and technical development of its members from beginner to professional
- Provide scholarship opportunities for area students
- Build rapport and a sharing community with passionate, like-minded painters, organizations, and businesses.